The British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy (BSGE) has a database of specialist endometriosis centres and surgeons in the UK. The gynaecologists listed on this database will be trained in advanced laparoscopic skills and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team. This team is made up of bowel (colorectal) surgeons, bladder surgeons (urologists), pain management experts and a specialist endometriosis nurse to provide an all-round approach to care.

To be seen by a specialist at an endometriosis centre, a person will usually need to meet the following criteria:

  • Endometriosis found on the bladder
  • Endometriosis found on the bowels
  • Endometriosis found on the ureters
  • Endometrioma (‘chocolate’) cysts found on one or both ovaries

They will usually need to be referred to a specialist centre by their local gynaecologist who will have carried out a diagnostic assessment to see if they have met this criteria. This may involve surgery, so can take some time.

At the moment, there is only one specialist endometriosis centre in Wales, which is based at the University Hospital of Wales (UHW) in the Cardiff & Vale health board. Someone who meets the criteria may be referred to a different endometriosis centre depending on where in Wales they live.

  • South Wales
    The endometriosis centre at UHW
  • Mid-Wales
    Either UHW, Arrowe Park on the Wirral, in England or possibly specialist centres in the midlands of England.
  • North Wales
    Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral, in England.